Friday, January 29, 2016

St Paul's

 

The next day we went to St. Paul's Cathedral. We decided to take it easy and just planned to visit the cathedral that day. Once again we couldn't take pictures inside the cathedral but it was absolutely breathtaking. St Paul's has it's crypt in the basement so the upper floors are a lot more roomy than Westminster Abbey. The cool thing about St. Paul's is you get to climb up to the top. First you walk up to the Whisper Gallery. This is inside and you can see down to the main floor below. But the neat thing about this gallery is you can sit on one side and your friend on another and you can whisper to each other and hear everything. 
Next you climb up to the Stone Gallery. The stairs here get smaller and steeper. I made Jason walk behind me because I was so worried about falling. I typically worry about falling (I am a little klutzy and have been known to fall over nothing) but being pregnant I was even more nervous about falling and needing medical care in a foreign country. This gallery puts you outside and I really felt I could go no higher. 
After this gallery you climb up to the Golden Gallery by the time we reached the top we had climbed 528 stairs that got steeper, tighter, and older. If I suffered from claustrophobia I would have had an attack on those stairs. But the view on top was so worth it. 
After our climb we made our way down to the crypt and saw the graves, we also ate in the cafe down in the basement, right next to the graves. At the time it didn't seem that weird, I was so hungry I didn't care but now it's a little weird to think about. But I did have the best leak and potato soup ever. Ok enough of my lunch  now for some pictures. 
Congrats if you read all that:)

 coming out of the subway










No comments:

Post a Comment